To Do Lists! Most of us make them, either in our heads, on our phones or even on paper. They help us to NOT forget, to stay on track and to move forward. Ok, this is GREAT, right? So what exactly IS on our To-Do Lists, hmmmm? Is there any mention of loving acts for our dear ones? Is there anything on that list about the actions of appreciation we're going to make happen today? If so! Wow! Good for you!! You can stop reading now. But, if we're like most, probably not, and this isn't to make anyone feel bad; this is just a wake-up call, for everyone, including ME!
Our loved ones can NOT possibly know what we are thinking and feeling about them all the time, and depending on the person, this 'unknown' can feel very uncomfortable. Luckily, we can act in purposeful ways to reveal our true intentions and keep our relationships on positive grounds. Sounds like a lot of effort, doesn't it?
So, Why bother?
1. To NOT FORGET our loved one's importance. And when we forget, day after day, to show our appreciation, people start to feel taken for granted. People who feel taken for granted start giving off those negative vibes, and then we react to these negative vibes and it's like one HUGE snowball forming bigger and bigger and it is NOT fun. (Lots of 'ands')
2. To heal and improve rocky and damaged relationships. Someone has to start, so why not you?
3. To GROW our important relationships and become RICHER!! Either things grow of die. And who wants that? We don't even want things to get awkward, do we? We want more; we want deeper. We need to DIG to get deeper. Digging requires a shovel AND the muscle to apply it. Let's starting digging, shall we?
4. To be happier! YES, we WILL be happier. It's never about getting more things or going to new places, that's always a BIG disappointment where true happiness is concerned. The truth is the more we willingly GIVE, the happier we are. We start living this truth, and we soon see the wonder of it.
5. To grow our relationships now, so all other life victories are that much sweeter as we share them with the people we love.
Making one such 'to-do' addition to our To-Do Lists today is a great start. Begin with the relationship that's either the highest priority (like your spouse or children), or one that needs the most attention (your choice). Then get to it! Every day have a loving action devoted to that particular person or focus on a different person each day. Whichever way we choose, it will probably be a big improvement over what we're doing now, so let's go! After a while, far from being seen as an added 'task', we'll find this to be an enjoyable and fun activity to break up our days, plus we'll LOVE the long-term benefits.
Give and we experience the joy!